These are just some points I thought of that you can tell your family and friends when asked “Why do the heart foundation give us misguided advice?”
Also a couple of points to think about regarding why saturated fats do not cause heart disease. Feel free to add to this!- Bottom line; It’s all about the $$$$
share this to all those who look at you like you have 2 heads when you tell them to EAT BUTTER! or insert any other saturated fat here
• Heart foundation gets money from big drug companies such as Pfizer- for research (bribe maybe)
• Government make millions of $$ in taxes from the profits of selling drugs
• Nick Goddard-Chair of the Food Nutrition Advisory Committee; Member, Cardiovascular Health Advisory Committee at National Heart Foundation
• Company Secretary at Soy Australia Ltd
• Executive Director at Australian Oilseeds Federation
Of course there is no conflict of interest here!
In the past Nick has also worked for :
• Corporate Relations Director at Unilever – many well-known brands under Unilever such as Dove, Knorr, Hellmann’s, Becel/Flora, Calvé, Magnum, Wall’s, Kibon, Algida, Ola, Ben & Jerry’s, Brooke Bond, and PG Tips brands
• Marketing Director- Spreads and Slimfast at Unilever
• Marketing Manager at Goodman Fielder -Goodman Fielder is Australasia's leading listed food company. The company has an excellent portfolio of well known consumer brands in some of Australia's and New Zealand's largest grocery categories, including MeadowLea, Praise, White Wings, Pampas, Mighty Soft, Helga's, Wonder White, Vogel's (under licence), Meadow Fresh and Irvines. Our products cover every meal, including breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks. We produce bread, milk, margarine, flour, dressings, condiments, mayonnaise, frozen pastry, cake mix, pies, savouries, smallgoods, chilled and frozen pizza, desserts, sauces, vinegar and cooking oils.
• The DAA (Dieticians association Australia) They follow the heart foundation/govt dietary guidelines have corporate partnerships with brands such as Arnotts, Kellogs, Nestle, Dairy Australia, Unilever, Jalna –more conflict of interest? Yes we better keep all those guys happy! They give us money…mwah ha ha ha!
• Polyunsaturated oils were never found in nature, we used lard, ghee, butter, tallow, coconut oil, cold pressed fruit oils (avocado, olive) Obesity, diabetes and heart disease was very rare 100 year or so ago.
• The saturated fats give you heart disease theory was a hypothesis that was NEVER proven- saturated fats are cardio PROTECTIVE
• How do they explain of all the paradoxes? Meaning there are many countries that eat a diet high in saturated fats that have low incidence of heart disease- countries such as France, Switzerland, Belgium, Italy, German, Austria and other populations such as the Inuit, the Masai, the Tokelau
• France eats the most saturated fat and has the lowest rate of heart disease deaths in all of Europe.
• Switzerland eats second-most saturated fat and has the second-lowest mortality
• The whole debate has gone on so long and there is so much money and politics involved it would be too hard for them to admit they were wrong- “We are so sorry we made everyone sick by lying to you all so we could make lots of money”
• 45% of the fatty acids in breast milk are saturated and contain 15mg of cholesterol per 100ml of breast milk- obviously very important for grown and development
There is a very important petition that we are hoping will put a stop to the Heart Foundation endorsing their unhealthy "tick" products.