Wednesday 6 April 2016

Poached chicken in a coconut, lime, lemongrass and ginger broth


I made this the other day, in mind I was thinking a beautiful poached chicken in a lemongrass, ginger and lime broth. After I made it I realised I had pretty much made Tom Kha Gai! lol
This is pretty easy and you don't need to make a paste or anything, its really just infusing the flavors into the coconut.
It is a sexy soup:)
In a large pot or wok ( I am using Aus-Ion wok made by solidtekniks)
Everything goes in chunky

To serve 4
Ingredients
Put in 1 x 270ml can coconut milk and 1 x cans worth of water.
1x bruised stalk of lemongrass
6 slices of ginger (or galangal)
1/2 red onion, thick slice


6 cloves of garlic cut into half
A handful of thai basil if you can get it
A few lime leaves if you have it, I didn't use any
1/2 lime, cut in half
1-2 red chillis, always optional here

Method
Simmer all this in a large pot or wok for about 20 minutes to infuse.
Then put in your chicken to poach. I have used 2 chicken breast, each cut into 3.(700g) This included chicken to have as a leftover to make salad or pulled chicken burgers etc
If you are in a hurry you can just cook the chicken the same time you start the infusing.
You can use any vegetables you like, I did some whole button mushrooms, asian leafy greens and bean sprouts.

The chicken should simmer for about 15-20 minutes or until no longer pink inside. Check the flavor and use some fish sauce to taste. I serve up with noodles on the bottom, the veg and broth plus the poached chicken on top with some extra lime. You can also garnish with coriander and extra chili if you like.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete