Thursday 21 January 2016

Easy kimchi

This isn't completely authentic as I could not find some of the ingredients, so I just did what I wanted
This made nearly 4 x 300ml jars worth- you can double this recipe too

Ingredients
½ wombok/chinese cabbage (this was 1.1kg) you need about 4 tsp salt per 1 kg of vegetables but there is fish sauce which is salty so I reduced it.
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1-2 tbsp sambal oelek (This is a chilli paste found in the Asian section at the supermarket)
1 tbsp ginger, finely chopped
2 tbsp fish sauce
2-3 spring onions, 2 cm slice
3 tsp salt
You can also use radish, carrot and daikon in there too


Method
Take the core out of the cabbage and wash the leaves. Chop into 2-3 cm pieces, you don’t have to shred it just chop into chunks.
Salt the cabbage and mix and squash though the cabbage. Leave until you see lots of liquid that has come out. About 1-2 hours.
To the cabbage add your ginger, garlic, sambal, spring onion and fish sauce. Mix together and pack tightly in a 2 litre jar, you can use anything you like really.
Squash down and then add a little salt and water until the cabbage is covered. I have seen people use another cabbage leave to place over the top to keep the cabbage submerged, but I just used a ziplock bag with water in it to weigh it down. I left it for 5 days, just taste it and see what you think, you can leave it longer, up to you!  Some people leave it weeks!

I then packed it tight into 4 x 300 ml clean jars to make it easier.


No comments:

Post a Comment