Tuesday 27 January 2015

Orange and ginger slow cooked chicken


Serves 4-6

Ingredients

12 chicken drumsticks
Blend up the following to make a paste; or you can finely chop the aromatics and add to the slow cooker.
Zest and juice of 2 blood oranges, or normal oranges- I have put the used oranges in a jug and topped up with 2 litres of water, you can use soda water too. Waste nothing! I use a microplane to zest (in pic below) you can find these at most supermarkets, big w, target etc
1 tbsp turmeric
2 tbsp ginger
3-4 cloves of garlic
¼ cup tamari or coconut aminos
1 tbsp honey
1 tsp chinese 5 spice

Method

Put it all in your slow cooker, I put this on for 4 hours on high or 7-8 on low.
When it’s done take out your drumsticks and put the liquid in a pot. Put your drumsticks back in the slow cooker to keep warm. Simmer the liquid for about 10 minutes or until it is nice and thick. This can be done while you are cooking the vegetables and rice

The veges I have stir-fried. I used carrot, celery, capsicum and green beans, stir-fried with plenty of fat, I have used brellow which is the fat than forms on your bone broth once it has cooled overnight in the fridge. The yellow colour is from the turmeric I used in the broth.

Buttered rice-
I have cooked 3 cups of rice, I have used some of this for a rice pudding and also saved some to make a fried rice for another night.
3 cups of basmati rice
5 cups of water
Simmer for about 10 minutes with the lid on. Make sure the rice is well cooked. When cooked add 50g cubed butter and stir through. I took out 1 ½ cups of the rice and set aside for rice pudding. Then you can season the rice with plenty of salt.

Divide the rice that is left in half, set aside ½ for fried rice.



No comments:

Post a Comment